ADVENTURE > hubris = watch the artist die
PROBABLE DATE OF DEPARTURE: 2023.
PROBABLE PLACE OF DEPARTURE: French Guiana.
- to walk from the Atlantic coast to the Pacific Ocean through the wildest areas of the Amazon jungle (excluding forbidden territories), following a meaningful trajectory drew beforehand. This path is a figurative conceptual drawing that will make sense in it's medium, which is the rainforest.
- exclusively on foot;
- pursuing an æsthetical purpose;
- questioning a philosophical concern.
A FEW REASONS:
- to celebrate the flesh I'm made of;
- to become the man that Diogenes of Sinope was seeking;
- as others leave to make the jihad;
- to obtain legitimacy;
- to prepare my death, to offer myself a not so bitter epilog;
- to finally be able to love myself.
- there is no ecological, philanthropic, scientific or athletic aim;
- I like artificial light, supermarkets, etc; the flow of urban traffic relaxes me more than one of a crystal-clear torrent;
- unlike Hamish Fulton, who tried to not leave any visible traces — or so
little — behind him, I accept the profaning nature of my passage;
- unlike Richard Long, nature isn’t central in my art. I use the harshness of nature as a tool to allow me to reach some psychic states;
- during this expedition, my days will be so repetitive that despite its vastness and my constant mobility, this jungle will quickly become as a cramped prison for me; the homogeneous luxuriance of its vegetation, as a desert;
- I'm gonna walk accompanied by mental projections of many friends and acquaintances of mine, people that I will summon to my liking for some speculative dialogues;
- the idea of this walk according to a geometrical rigid trajectory has been inspired to me by the title of a book by Mike Horn (Latitude zéro), as well as by my rectilinear crossing of the Salar de Uyuni;
- I am attentive to this belief, among the Khanty — Ugric people of which my mother descended from —, who asserts that paradise is only accessible by the souls of those who die a violent death; the souls of those who died in a mild way are forced to serve a severe god residing underground;
- it is false to assert that I have « nothing to lose ».
YOUR GIFTS WILL:
- contribute to fixing my injured body;
- contribute to fixing my broken gear;
- contribute to the purchase and the delivery of new gear;
- contribute to mailing to a safe place the art made along the way;
- contribute to offer me the luxury I need to comfort myself during the weeks of break in the stage cities along the way.
[Before you give me anything, you must know that I will not feel indebted to you for this gesture.]